Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Return That Phone Call... NOW!

To give great customer service, a company must build a CULTURE OF SERVICE. That’s what the late Joe O’Malia did at O’Malia’s. That culture of service must permeate everything throughout the company. And IT STARTS AT THE TOP. If the boss sets the tone, everyone else will follow. If not, you know how that turns out!

And one of the basic tenets of building a great customer service culture is to teach everyone to return every phone call or e-mail. Not just to return it but to return it UNBELIEVABLY FAST. Because it’s the right thing to do. And because you’ll be one of the few companies doing it, which is truly sad. I don’t know how often I returned a call from a customer in my days at O’Malia’s and the first reaction was, “I can’t believe you actually called me back!” or “Thanks for calling back so quickly!”

How many times have you, as a customer, been ignored when you called a business? What has your reaction been? I get angry and then I tell lots of other people, “Bright House failed to return my call!” See? I just did it again!

When a business returns a call in a timely and helpful manner, it’s done the right thing. It can learn a great deal about how it’s doing for its customers. If the call is a complaint, it’s an OPPORTUNITY to “make lemonade out of lemons.” That increases customer loyalty. And it enhances its CULTURE OF SERVICE. How’s your business at making sure EVERYONE returns EVERY call? If you don’t know, you’d better find out!

2 comments:

  1. For us actually, good customer service must really getting what we want and solving our concerns as soon as possible because that's one of the essences of good customer service. Like you, I've encountered nice call center representatives who responded to my concern quickly and gives me updates on my concerns quickly too. So I wouldn't get angry of waiting too long. It's nice to encounter those kind of CSR who are really dedicated to give us superb customer service.

    ReplyDelete

What Did My Clients Say?

Very worthwhile…highly recommended to anyone who values customers.” -Julian Peebles, Ruth Lilly Health Education Center

“Thanks again for the wonderful presentation. It was exciting that our employees were fired up and began to think forward and place themselves mentally into some of the situations they may encounter at Victory Field.” -Randy Lewandowski, Assistant General Manager Indianapolis Indians

“…the overall attitude of our management team is much more positive…and the team is much more aggressive in tending to clients ‘and guests’ needs.” -Chuck Lazarra, President, Ritz Charles

“Danny is an excellent presenter who understands the benefit of high quality customer service. He relayed heartfelt stories that translated to our business and reinforced the impact that each of us has on customer service and its effect on our success.” -Doug Ruggles, Corporate Training Director, F.A. Wilhelm Construction Co., Inc.

“Your talk was very insightful and right on point. It also was entertaining and a lot of fun. The points you made were simple but highly effective. Your expertise in the area of customer service was obvious.” -Chad Wilke, Senior Event Coordinator, Indiana Convention and Visitors’ Bureau

“Danny is a delight—so full of energy—you feel inspired after spending just a few minutes with him. And there were several great pearls that I walked away with.” -Pam Bales, Consultant, Benefit Associates

“We have worked with many consultants over the years, but none more energetic than Danny. He worked diligently with us beforehand to model the program to our specific needs… From the President to the newest supervisor, we are all excited to begin implementing what we learned tomorrow morning! …..” -Rick Roberts, Vice President, Engledow Group

“I am also conducting the first Team Leader Training Class tomorrow. With a little help from the Danny O Experience I think it will be a hit! Thanks for being such a great motivator!” -Michelle Nichols, Corporate Trainer, Ossip Optometry

"I know some of you have brought in speakers in the past to inspire your staff. As you probably know, I’m difficult to impress. Well, Danny impressed me. For one thing, he’s one of you and not just another speaker. He made me wish I was working back in the stores. And for you wholesalers, he’s would be a great motivator for speaking to your independents. He got huge applause from the WGA retailers. I definitely see you having some quick payback having him speak." -Dave Livingston, DJL Research, LLC